Welcome to Flavor Focus Week 4! Are you excited for Labor Day weekend? Have any fun plans? My boyfriend and I are going to spend some time with his family over the long weekend. It should be a lot of fun. Even though we’ve been together a long time, I still feel a little eek-please-love-and-accept-me when around his relatives. Oh, the vulnerability of in-laws.
I can’t believe it’s already time for a new Flavor Focus. Are you following the Flavor Focus board on Pinterest? It’s become one of my favorite boards! I love seeing each week’s recipes neatly saved and cataloged. So far Flavor Focus has highlighted recipes with apples, sprinkles, and coffee. I just love how all the pins look together.
Before we get to this week’s flavor, want to hear some behind the scenes stuff? Let me tell you how I pick each week’s flavor. Picking the ingredient is super simple- I only have two criteria.
- I love cooking with it.
- It’s currently in my kitchen.
I can’t stress how important that second point is. As a food blogger and food lover, I go to the store at least once a day, usually more. Luckily, the grocery store is just a short walk away, but still, I feel ridiculous going to the store over and over again. I hate returning an hour later to purchase a single onion. So with Flavor Focus, I only pick ingredients that I already have in my fridge or pantry. It’s one less trip to the store.
Week 4: Coconut
I am so so so excited for this week’s flavor: coconut! Oh my gosh, my favorite dessert of all time- no question- is coconut cake. I don’t make coconut cake at home because I’d eat the whole thing in one sitting with a fork (no exaggeration). Instead, I only eat it when I go back to Texas. There’s a bakery near my sister’s house that makes the best coconut cake ever. It’s my favorite treat, hands down.
I love that there’s so much you can do with coconut! While you can bake with it to make desserts, you can do other things with it, too. You can use it in savory food like coconut shrimp and chicken. Also, you can use it in coffee drinks and cocktails. Coconut is a versatile ingredient and this week’s recipes really highlight that.
When I bake or cook with coconut, I typically use shredded coconut or coconut oil. I don’t usually cook with raw coconut because…well, my boyfriend is in charge of cutting up large fruits in our house. I could learn to cut them up on my own, but I prefer he does it!
Do you love baking and cooking with coconut? What’s your favorite coconut treat?
Okay, let’s explore a bunch of fantastic coconut recipes.
- Baked Coconut Shrimp | Rasa Malaysia | What could be better than homemade coconut shrimp without all the hassle of frying? You’re going to love making this easy baked version of classic, crunchy coconut shrimp. Even better, it includes a homemade spicy tartar sauce to dip ’em in. Yum!
- Coconut Sugar Cookie Bars | Like Mother Like Daughter | This simple, coconut dessert look like a lot of fun to bake. I love that there’s a lot of coconut in both the bars and the frosting.
- Carrot Coconut Bread | Inside BruCrew Life | A loaf dessert that combines the irresistible flavor of carrot cake and coconut cake?! Count me in. This treat looks incredible and easy to whip up.
- Creamy Coconut Rum Iced Coffee | Heather Christo | I’m a total sucker for coffee drinks that incorporate booze. This coconut-boozy-java beverage is something else. The pictures are stunning- they look straight out of a professional photography magazine.
- Coconut Cupcakes | Taste and Tell | Just looking at these cupcakes makes me salivate. Oh my gosh, I want to make a batch right now and not share them with anybody! Who can resist classic, no-fuss coconut cupcakes?
- One Pot Shrimp in Coconut Sauce | From Brazil To You | First off, let me say, I’m a sucker for Thai food and its overall use of coconut and coconut oil. I love this savory shrimp dish in coconut sauce. This entree would make a great weekday meal.
- The Ultimate Moist, Fluffy, Ridiculous Coconut Cake | Willow Bird Baking | I saved the best for last! Unfortunately, I won’t be making this showstopping coconut cake (remember my coconut cake weakness?) so please, please, please make this and report back to me. It looks unforgettable.
Don’t want the fun to end? Check out these colorful and fun coconut funfetti cupcakes.
That’s it. Flavor Focus Week 4 has come to a close. Hope you have a fantastic Labor Day weekend! I’ll see you next Friday for a whole new flavor.