Welcome to the launch of Flavor Focus! Flavor Focus is a weekly series that showcases recipes that use a particular flavor or ingredient. The flavor changes every week so check back on Fridays to find out the new flavor of the week!
Why create Flavor Focus?
All the time I have a specific ingredient that I need to use. I stand in the kitchen thinking, what can I do with this rhubarb? Or, what’s a cool recipe that uses portabella mushrooms? Sure, I could cook something typical with the whatever the ingredient is, but I’d much rather try a new recipe.
Do you search the internet looking for recipes that use a specific ingredient? Do you love using flavors in new ways? If so, you’re going to love this new weekly series!
Week 1: Apple
What better flavor to kick off Flavor Focus than the almighty apple! Apple had to be the first ingredient of the series. It’s permanently associated with being first thanks to all those preschool banners proclaiming “a is for apple.” Plus, apple is the first fruit most people think of. Nothing could be better for the first ingredient of Flavor Focus.
Not to mention apple ‘s been on my mind since I just made apple mimosa cocktails.
What’s the first recipe you think of when you think of apples? For me, it’s apple pie. But, as classic as apple pie is, you won’t find any pie recipes here. Instead, all the recipes are a little unexpected and unique while still using apple.
Okay, let’s dive into the first ever Flavor Focus! Here’s a roundup of recipes that showcase apple.
If only I had a spare weekend and a barrel of apples, then I could make them all!
- Appledoodles | Pip and Ebby | Who can resist a cute, fruity twist on a classic cookie? This recipe puts a fun spin on traditional snickerdoodles by adding fresh apples. These cookies are perfect when you’re in the mood to bake something easy.
- Apple Old Fashioned | Fox and Briar | Eek! I LOVE classic cocktails. I feel straight out of Mad Men anytime I drink ’em. This fun twist on the classic cocktail, the old fashioned, will create one classy evening.
- No-Churn Apple Pie Ice Cream | Celebrating Sweets | Okay, can I just say- wow! The photos of this no-churn ice cream are amazing. As someone who doesn’t own an ice cream maker, I’m always on the look out for no-churn recipes. This ice-cream looks is the perfect, fruity no-ice-cream-machine recipe.
- Cranberry Chicken Salad on Apple Slices | Yummy Addiction | I love the concept of this recipe. It’s so healthy, simple, and unique. It’s perfect for picnics and healthy snacks.
- Butterfinger Apple Nachos | A Pumpkin and a Princess | Wait, what?! I did a double take when I found this one. I’d never heard of apple nachos. Transforming nachos into an apple dessert? I’m in. Add Butterfinger candy bars? Well, I’m in heaven.
- Cinnamon Apple Chips | Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen | I’m all about a quick, healthy recipe and these apple chips are just that. This is the perfect recipe when you have a few extra apples and need something quick ‘n easy to do with ’em.
Want to easily pin these recipes? I’ve got them all cataloged on the Flavor Focus board on Pinterest. Stop on by!
I hope you enjoyed week 1 of Flavor Focus and stop by next Friday to check out the new flavor!